HEER 3 Grant
What is the HEER 3 Grant?
- HEER 3 is the Higher Education Emergency Relief fund, which was previously part of the CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act and was updated in the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act
- HEER 3 funds are emergency grants to university students to help pay for costs while attending the U (e.g., tuition, books, housing, food, health care, etc.)
- These funds can also be used to help with emergency costs associated with the coronavirus
- NOTE: HEER 3 grants are not treated as financial aid nor are they considered in determining eligibility for other forms of financial aid (such as scholarships, loans, or work-study) you may receive
Who can get the HEER 3 Grant?·
- ALL STUDENTS are eligible to receive the HEER 3 Grant
- The American Rescue Plan (ARP), which authorized HEER 3, requires prioritization of students with financial need in awarding HEER 3
How much will I get with my HEER 3 grant?
- Every student is scheduled to be awarded $500 during the Fall 2021 semester
- Students with demonstrated financial need will receive an additional $250 (for a total of $750)
- Students who are Federal Pell Grant recipients will receive an additional $250 (for a total of $1,000)
- Students who have emergency costs associated with COVID-19 may also apply for additional funds via the university’s Emergency Fund application
How are ‘Students with demonstrated financial need’ determined?
- ‘Demonstrated financial need’ will be determined from a student’s 2021-2022 FAFSA application
- Students who are unable, unwilling, or ineligible to file the FAFSA are still eligible to receive the HEER 3 grant in the amount of $500
What is the University’s plan to distribute the HEER 3 funds to students?
- Update: The plan described below is the final plan for distribution
- Our current HEER 3 distribution plan is based on projections of the number of enrolled university students, including those with demonstrated financial need, from prior years
- Because ARP mandates prioritization of students with financial need, we may need to adjust the amount(s) noted above based on the final funding we were allocated from ARP
- Every student will receive a grant, but the final award amounts may be adjusted
- We will keep you informed once we finalize and award the grants
What should I do NOW to ensure I receive HEER 3 funding?
- If you haven’t already filed your 2021-22 FAFSA, we encourage you to do so immediately (the U’s School Code is 003675); until HEER 3 funds are exhausted, we will review and make awards for sttudents with demonstrated need
- Be sure you are registered for Fall 2021 classes by July 31, 2021. This will help ensure we have planned and budgeted effectively for every university student to receive the largest HEER 3 grant for which they qualify (Note: you are not required to be registered at this time but it will help in planning and budgeting)
- Ensure your direct deposit or refund preferences are current in Campus Information Services (CIS) (visit the tuition and loans tile on the student homepage to update your direct deposit information) as grants will be issued directly to you and will not be applied to your student account/bill
When will I get my HEER 3 funds?
- Currently, we plan to begin disbursing HEER 3 funds the week of August 30, 2021. Update: Awards began being authorized for disbursement on September 15, 2021 and will continue until funds are exhausted
What if I have additional questions?
- You may contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org